Motor Referee Program Overview

MVR Check

Every two years, all motor referees must go through the MVR process via NCSI.

This process checks your driving record and issues a green light or red light determination. The factors that would lead to a red light would be a DUI or a vehicular manslaughter, as well as too many speeding tickets. Due to changes in insurance requirements, our MVR check has had to become more stringent. A red light will occur for anyone with a ticket for speeding 20+ over the speed limit in the last 5 years, more than 2 moving violations (speeding under 20 mph over, unsafe vehicle, accident, etc...) in 12 months or any 3+ moving violations in 36 months.

If you get a red light, there are several options:

  1. Your motor referee endorsement is reissued "P" (pillion or passenger), which means you can still officiate but not drive.
  2. You can challenge the finding and get your MVR cleaned up. (It is your responsibility to work with the provider to challenge a red-light designation.)
  3. Don't renew your officials license that year.

In most cases, after a year some of the tickets have fallen off and you can continue as a motor refere again.

Please contact the Technical Director at with any questions.

Motor Referee Clothing

Officials wear the standard blue and khaki when assigned to work an event. Motor referees should wear their normal protective gear and a blue motoref vest (as shown below). The vests can be purchased from The Vest Guys and start at $79.95.

MotoRef Vest

Motor Referee Discounts

As a USA Cycling Motor Referee, you are eligible for some discounts on motorcycle related items thanks to some of our long standing motor referees. As of September 2022, the following discounts are available. 

Please contact the Technical Director at for more details on how to take advantage of these offers.

Motor Referee Advancement Program

MotoRef RC

  • Cat C or better license at time of first motor referee course
  • Successfully completes current course
  • Entry Level Official
    • Works C, D, & E events
    • Works B events if under the guidance of a qualified motor referee

MotoRef RB

  • Submits the following for upgrade:
  • Detailed resume documenting 10 road events as a MotoRef RC
    • At least 5 events as circuit or road race events
    • At least 2 events as lead or follow motor referee of a criterium
    • At least 2 time trials events (if available)
  • Two recommendations from MotoRef RA or combination of MotoRef RB and international commissaires
    • Based on personal observations
  • Works up to MotoRef RB by working an event with limited team cars
  • Eligible for selection for MotoRef RA and international events, after experience, with guidance of MotoRef RA

MotorRef RA

  • Become a B Road Official
  • At least two seasons as a MotorRef RB
  • Takes and passes level Motor Referee A course
  • Relevant race experience within the last 2 years
  • Resume documenting 15 events as a MotoRef RB( The body of qualifying races shall be within the previous 5 Years)
    • At least 10 circuit or road race events
    • At least 2 events at the National Calendar level, at least one of which has a team car caravan
  • Two recommendations from MotoRef RA and elite or international commissaires
    • Based on personal observations
    • At least one of the recommendations must be based on personal observations within the last 2 years
    • Successful in race evaluation
    • Works all USA Cycling events
    • Eligible for pilot selection at international events
    • Eligible for selection as passenger commissaire in international events